Thursday, January 1, 2009

Squash, Potato, and Onion Soup


This recipe sounded like the perfect meal for a cold night in. Until, I had no idea what a "winter" squash was. Thank goodness for great friends and Google to help me understand that winter squash isn't the name of a squash rather its a class of squash. Then the recipe called for fresh corriander. I thought that corriander was just the seeds from the cilantro plant. Well come to find out from a Google search cilantro is just the leaves and corriander refers to the entire "cilantro" plant. So, once I finally had all of the ingredients I got hung up a little on making "mashed squash". How long are you supposed to boil cubed squash to equal fork tender? Well I cooked it 18 minutes which may have been a few minutes too long as it was a little watery.

The cool thing about this recipe is that I got to use my blender! I haven't used it in at least 2 years.

Verdict: The soup tasted pretty good. The color was great. It took me about an hour and 10 minutes to complete the recipe. Also, there was a nice balance of active and inactive cook time so I could clean up as I went. That's amazing for me!

Happy New Year All!

No comments:

Post a Comment